Tuesday, January 31, 2006

On the Concept of Unconditional Love

Ice_Princess said... Tell me your thoughts on the concept of unconditional love.

I believe that true love is always unconditional. Deep love is unconditional. My own experience has proven to me that when I love someone fully, deeply and truly, I am forever locked. I will always love. Nothing changes love. Finding out you were mistaken and misjudged someone does not change the love. Being mistreated and injured does not make love go away. This is my experience. I believe very determinedly that true love is always unconditional.

However, I do not believe in unconditional togetherness. While I find myself irrevocably tied to some past loves through my own unconditional love for them, I am not unconditionally bound to remain involved with them.

Partnerships are based on mutual respect, honesty, kindness, forgiveness, humour, generosity, and open-heartedness. When any or all of these aspects are damaged beyond repair, in my opinion, togetherness is at risk. I believe it is healthy to leave a relationship that is beyond repair rather than suffer without hope of improvement. I have left relationships that were beyond repair. I find I still love those people, unconditionally. I hurt to hear sad news of people I have shared love with. I still care. But I choose to be involved, together, only with people with whom I can conduct a positive, productive, and happy relationship.

I believe in unconditional love completely. But I also believe in making good choices, and surrounding myself with good people. I don't believe in unconditional togetherness because this can result in unconditional, interminable suffering.

I don't give up on relationships easily. I don't condone leaving a marriage/love the minute things get difficult. We will all face difficult times in longterm relationships. It is the human experience. I believe in forgiveness. I believe in patience. I do not expect that Anna will never have bad days, that she will never be short with me, that she will not grow old. Indeed, I expect that we will grow greyhaired and wrinkled and soft together. Our togetherness is not dependant on superficial things like appearance, or cheerfulness. I will support her when she is sad, and expect she will do the same for me. We will work through the difficult times together. As long as the foundation is strong, small cracks do no real damage.

Ice princess, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this subject as well. I have spoken to the subject of unconditional love as it applies to couples. I believe that you will have more light to shed from the perspective of a mother - as well as your own experiences with partnerships. Thank you for asking my opinion. Now I am asking yours. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Daddy said...

Ice_Princess: I had the opportunity to read your blog post about this question just now and I feel compelled to tell you two things:
1. your photograph is lovely, and
2. you are worthy of the kind of love you seek.

Love is always worth more than career. You are worth more than any job. I apologize for speaking out of turn, but he is wrong. You simply are worth more.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

I was reading your post and getting ready to say that I will post to address your question most likely tomorrow, but I see you went and read my post which discussed the incident that brought this to mind. I have some more to say about said incident when I address what you have asked me. I will be sure to leave you another comment when my post is complete and up. I don't think I will get to it tonight as it late here.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

Ok, you may go and look at my opinions now. Please tell Anna I mean no disrespect to her in referring to you as daddy but I have no other way to address you at present.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

I am not sure where to leave my comment. I'm glad she's not upset with me, I'd hate to offend her lol. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I was going to respond there, but I wasn't sure if you'd check back to get my reply. I hope you're well.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

It seems I am talking to myself Gaelin...I had a friend in high school named Galen, no doubt an Americanization of your name. I just stopped by to tell you I have written a new post on the concept of Reality and to invite you and Anna if she feels like it to read it. Hope you're well, the both of you.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Daddy said...

Hi honey, my apologies for taking so long to reply. You aren't talking to yourself. I'm listening and I'm sorry to hear you have felt the need to allow someone else to limit your possibilities. You seem to me to be a very intelligent and capable woman.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

I just left you a comment on my blog in reply to yours lol. Oh you were so quiet I thought the evil numbers ripped you apart or something...evil numbers.....

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters