Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Jumpers Versus Rompers


Sometimes I wonder why it is that I chose to pursue a mathematical career when the English language is filled with such delightful and fascinating subtleties.

Yesterday I asked my eldest brother what his wife would like for Christmas and he suggested a new warm jumper. As a man who is loath to go shopping anytime, particularly near Christmas, I thought that looking online was the best way to approach this.

Not knowing where I wanted to shop, but hoping to find some nice pictures of jumpers I could send my brother to choose from, I typed in my search term, "adult jumper". (I am certain my American friends can already guess what happened!)

Something I knew, but had completely forgotten, is that what I call a "jumper" is known in North America as a "sweater" or a "pullover". So, rather than bringing up pictures of adult-size sweaters, what I found was photographs of what I would call "rompers", or adult baby clothes! Imagine my delighted surprise.

Needless to say, I did not manage to find a gift for my sister in law, but I think the above will look nice on my wife. LOL.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ice_Princess said...

I am sure you will find something lovely for the sister in law. I agree with you though English is certainly a queer language sometimes. Queer now there is an interesting word, it means strange I think in British English and here it means homosexual...go figure same language different worlds! Did you miss me? I missed leaving you notes.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Daddy said...

Welcome back. It's always good to hear from you!

4:07 AM  
Blogger Ice_Princess said...

Did you find a gift for your sister in law yet? I think you should get something nice, but not too nice she is an in law after all.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters